March 23, 2010

Copying is not nice







My fellow artists... is not necessary to say this, because supposedly everybody knows it... but I´ll have to say it due to the recent events... COPYING IS NOT NICE...

Recently I got to know one of my favorite doll makers and collegues in Etsy has been copied, her name is Junker Jane and she is well known in the plush-dolls world because her work is so unique and amazing. She has a great style and her little monsters and creatures are just amazing, in fact, she is one of my inspirations... inspiration to work, to create, to be unique and to have a style!

Well... I think the images talk for themselves... the ones on the left side are the work of Junker Jane and the ones in the right the one of someone that has no respect for other artists work... the quality is not the same but they are copies without a doubt... (even the label !!!) And they sell in Etsy as well!!! o.o

Just saying... copying is not nice...


(I will not put a link to these copy cats stores in etsy because I don´t think free advertisment is what they need... but if you run into them... well... now you know)

................................

Mis queridos colegas artistas... no debería ser necesario decirles esto pero en vista de las circunstancias lo haré... COPIAR NO ESTA BIEN...

Recientemente me entero de que una de mis colegas en Etsy y artista textil favoritas ha sido copiada, su nombre es Junker Jane y es bastante conocida en el mundo de los muñecos y los plush. Su estilo es muy particular y sus monstruos y creaturas son maravillosas, de hecho, su trabajo es inspirador para mi... me inspira a trabajar, a crear, a ser única y a tener un estilo propio!

Y bueno... creo que las imágenes hablan por sí solas... las del lado izquierdo son los trabajos de Junker Jane y las del lado derecho la de alguien que no tiene respeto alguno por el trabajo artístico de alguien más... la calidad no es la misma pero sin lugar a duda son copias... (vamos hasta la etiqueta!!!), y tienen el descaro de venderlas en Etsy!!! o.o

Sólo quería decirlo... copiar no esta bien!


(no pondré el nombre de las tiendas en etsy de estas personas ya que me parece que no necesitan publicidad gratuita... pero si las ven por ahí seguro sabrán quienes son)
Pin It

9 comments:

Elena Ospina said...

HERMOSASSSSS y divertidas, me encantan TODAS

whitney-anne said...

How lame, not to come up with something original of your own . . . bag Karma eh?

Elena Ospina said...

PLOFF
Disculpa que ahora que leo el post me entero que son una copia...
Es muy triste ver estas cosas de gente del gremio y lo peor es cada vez vemos cosas como esta con mas frecuencia.

JUNKER JANE said...

Ahhhh, thank you for the post! So awesome of you :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but I've been to hundreds of crafts shows, and have been doing them for nearly 25 years, and I can tell you that Junker's work VERY much resembles other's work. Shapes and sizes, primtive, patchwork, etc have been around for hundreds of years. I can see if the items were exact, but they're not. Everyone, no matter who it is, has looked at someone else's work for inspiration. Both are simply rag-style, very common. I'd be careful post bashing with photos of someone else's work for comparison.

Cara Carmina said...

anonymous: Thanks for writting and I can understand your point of view, and I agree about the inspiration part... we all get inspired by other artists work... I do it all the time and also incorporate stuff we see in other people´s art into our own...

This is a complete different case... I took a good look at the works of the copy cats and the original and it´s beyond the "coincidences" happening because of the inspiration we talked before... this is really not that...

I´m not bashing anyone in my post, I´m just pointing out something I´ve seen happening a lot lately this is another really bad example of a fellow artist being copied:

http://ashleyannabrown.typepad.com/blog/copyright-case/

I´ve been decent enough that I didn´t put a link to these copiers stores. This is my space and it´s where I put my point of view... I don´t pretend that everybody agrees with me...

Saying that I´m "bashing someone else´s work" it´s a bit to rude and don´t think it´s what I´m doing... if that would be the case I would give name, web stores, blogs and other personal info. of the case... which I´m not doing because I am a respectful person.

Thank you very much.

cara carmina

Anonymous said...

I see your side too. The work is very similar. I guess I'm just tired of people over the years who say their "idea" is stolen, when it's not really their idea. Such as the first person who decided to make a wreath, and then someone else copied it, and then claims it as their idea. And like altered art. So much altered art looks the same but I can't tell you how many claim that it's their look, when really the "idea" came from someone else. All they do is change it a bit. So, yes, I agree with your post to a point. There is a resemblence in the pictures you show, so perhaps there would be some kind of case against this person. At any rate, I wish for a good outcome for jane. Too, I just wouldn't like the idea of someone posting my photos to make a point. To me, it's just better to deal with it, approach the person, and then if they don't stop, bring in the law and be done with it. Everything else seems catty.

Cara Carmina said...

Sure... I understand... and I agree about the "altered art" thing...

As a Doll maker myself I feel for this kind of things... if you read the link I posted in my previous comment you´ll see the extreme situations some artists have to deal with... I think in the case of JJ is not as extreme, in the sense that the copies are not being mass produced, but as far as I know they are proceeding legally already...

Thanks for replying and I also wish for a good outcome for Jane...

good day :)

Yolanda said...

que bonitas son todas, tienen una estetica muy parecida.
Fuera a parte de ese detalle, el copiar es algo muy feo y eso habla de la poca etica profesional y lo peor de todo es que en muchos trabajos esta a la orden del dia ¡que pena!.
Saludos Norma